Texas AgriLife Research
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
303G Scoates Hall – 77843-2117
Born in Caracas, Venezuela. Teaching and research on food material properties, rheology, packaging, and safety. Specifics include irradiation, active packaging, spraying, edible coatings, release kinetics of antimicrobials from packaging films, and texture of fried foods. Has published over 60 articles in professional journals, over 100 posters and technical presentations, 8 book chapters, and is co-author of one book in deep-fat frying. She is currently working on a book on applied rheology for the food industry.
Alex’s research interests include the development of control measures for minimizing and reducing pathogens in fresh and fresh-cut produce and on beef carcasses, the prevalence of pathogens in fresh produce and the use of electron beam irradiation for food safety purposes. He has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals, has authored or co-authored 6 book chapters and has published two books as editor. Is active member in various professional organizations and assists as reviewer in different scientific journals.
Bachelor of Science, Food Engineering
Master of Science, Agricultural Engineering
Doctorate, Agricultural Engineering
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University
Alabama A&M University
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, E. Castell-Perez. 2010. Simulation of pathogen inactivation in whole and fresh-cut cantaloupe (Cucumis melo) using electron beam treatment. J. Food Eng., 97(3): 425-433.
- C. Gomes, P. Da Silva, R. G. Moreira, E. Castell-Perez, E. A. Ellis, M. Pendleton. 2009. Understanding E. coli internalization in lettuce leaves for optimization of irradiation treatment. Int. J. Food Microb., 135 238–247.
- Gomes, C., E. Castell-Perez, E. Chimbombi, D. Sun, J. Liu, H-J. Sue, P. Sherman, P. Dunne, and A. O. Wright. 2009. Effect of Oxygen Absorbing Packaging on the Shelf-life of a Liquid-based Component of Military Operational Rations. J. Food Sci., 74(4): E167-176.
- Gomes, C., P. Da Silva, E. Chimbombi, J. Kim, E. Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2008. Electron-Beam Irradiation of Fresh Broccoli Heads (Brassica oleracea L. Italica). LWT, 41: 1828–1833.
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, and E. Castell-Perez. 2008. Validation of Irradiation of Broccoli with a 10 MeV electron beam accelerator. J. Food Eng., 86(4): 595-603.
- Moreno, M.A., E. Castell-Perez, C. Gomes, P. F. Da Silva, J. Kim, and R. G. Moreira. 2008. Treatment of cultivated highbush blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) with electron beam irradiation: Dosimetry and product quality. J. Food Process Eng., 31: 155-172
- Huang, Y., J. Kim, R. G. Moreira, and E. Castell-Perez. 2008. A web-based information system for MNCP simulation of irradiation of complex-shaped foods. Applied Eng. in Agriculture. 24(2): 233-242.
- Gomes, C., R. G. Moreira, E. Castell-Perez, J. Kim, P. Da Silva, and A. Castillo. 2007. E-Beam Irradiation of Bagged Ready-to-Eat Spinach Leaves (Spinacea oleracea): An Engineering Approach. J. Food Science 73(2): E95-E102.
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, Y. Huang, and E. Castell-Perez. 2007. A 3-D Dosimeter for Complex-Shaped Foods using Electron-Beam Irradiation. Transactions of the ASABE 50(5): 1751-1758.
- Rivadeneira, R., R. G. Moreira, J. Kim, and E. Castell-Perez. 2007. Dose Mapping of Complex-Shaped Foods using Electron-Beam Accelerators. Food Control 18: 1223-1234.
- Moreno, M.A., E. Castell-Perez, C. Gomes, P. Da Silva, and R. G. Moreira. 2007. Quality of Electron Beam Irradiation of Blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) at Medium Dose Levels (1.0-3.2 kGy). LWT 40: 1123-1132.
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, Y. Huang, E. Castell-Perez. 2007. 3-D dose distributions for optimum radiation treatment planning of complex foods. J. of Food Eng., 79(1): 312-321.
- Neal, J. A., B. Booren, L. Cisneros-Zevallos, R. K. Miller, L. M. Lucia and A. Castillo. 2010. Shelf-Life and Sensory Characteristics of Baby Spinach Subjected to Electron Beam Irradiation. Journal of Food Science. 75:S319-S326.
- Brandt, A. L., M. D. Hardin, A. Castillo, K. B. Harris, J. T. Keeton and T. M. Taylor. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by Food Antimicrobials Applied Singly and in Combination. Journal of Food Science. Accepted July 2010.
- Han, J., E. Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2007. The Influence of Electron Beam Irradiation of Antimicrobial-Coated LDPE/Polyamide Films on Antimicrobial Activity and Film Properties. LWT 40(9):1545-1554.
- Rodriguez, O., E. Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2007. Effect of sugar content and storage temperature on the survival and recovery of irradiated Escherichia coli K-12 MG1655. LWT 40(4): 690-696.
- Gomes, C., P. Da Silva, E.Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2006. Quality and Microbial Population of Cornish Game Hen Carcasses as Affected by Electron Beam Irradiation. J. Food Science, 71(7), E327-336.
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, R. Rivadeneira, and E. Castell-Perez. 2006. Monte Carlo-based Food Irradiation Simulator. J. of Food Process Eng., 29(1), 72-88. The top 20 most popular articles based on number of full text downloads from 2005-2007.
- Han, J., E. Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2006. The Influence of Electron Beam Irradiation on the Effectiveness of Trans-cinnamaldehyde Coated LDPE/polyamide Films. J. Food Science, 71(5), E245-E251.
- Rodriguez, O., E. Castell-Perez, N. Ekpanyaskun, R. G. Moreira, and A. Castillo. 2006. Surrogates for Validation of Electron Beam Irradiation of Foods. Int. J. Food Microb., 110(2), 117-122.
- Moreno, M., E. Castell-Perez, C. Gomes, P. Da Silva, and R. G. Moreira. 2006. The Effects of Electron Beam Irradiation on Physical, Textural and Microstructural Properties of Tommy Atkins Mangoes (Mangifera indica L.). J. Food Science 71(2), E8.
- Kim, J., R. G. Moreira, Y. Huang, and E. Castell-Perez. 2006. 3-D dose distributions for optimum radiation treatment planning of complex foods. J. Food Eng, 34(3), 359-369. Top 25 – Hottest Articles – #1 among all journals in Agriculture and Biological Sciences – Elsevier (326 journals).
- Kim, J., R. Rivadeneira, E. Castell-Perez, and R. G. Moreira. 2006. Development and Validation of a Methodology for Dose Calculation in Electron beam Irradiation of Complex-Shaped Foods. Journal of Food Engineering 74(3), 359-369.
- Granda, C., R. G. Moreira, and E. Castell-Perez. 2005. Effect of raw potato composition on acrylamide formation in potato chips. Journal of Food Science (9): E519-525.